If you don't receive an activation email after registration, then please post in the help and support section with your screen name

This mod will NOT work with a pirated copy of Mount and Blade Warband!

Check out the updated WIKI and register your interest in HELPING

Author Topic: [NEED HELP] How to create a texture and material file for my model?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Efarys

• Tester
  • Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Targaryen
Hey there everyone!
I have no idea whether or not anyone will read it as it's completely dead section of the forum but still maybe I'll find an answer to my question :D
I never before was really intrested in making mods myself. But like a day ago I decided to try out Blender and create my own sword. Well I guess it's doesn't look too bad :D but still I don't know how to make a texture or material file that I need when I use OpenBrf. So far I'm stuck at this point and don't know what I need to do. I searched forums for hours looking for a proper solution but I couldn't really find anything that would help me. I know it sounds like an excuse that every newbie makes up so someone would find what he needs for him, but trust me I really did my best. I haven't even slept for a whole day because I was looking for a solution at night. So I guess I gave up and I have to ask people who are more experienced than me :D
So here comes a screenshot on where I am at this point:

What do I have to do now? I tried exporting uv layout and then putting in these strange places but it didn't work out :D  This is what happens in openbrf when I tried to do that
this way:

So guys you're my last hope. I'm just 16 years old atm and I never touched 3d graphics before (I might be too old to become professional but still I'd love to at least help people with their mods in future). It's like my first time ever so I'll be really thankful if someone way more experienced than me could tell me what I did wrong and what I need to do :)

Offline Ettenrocal

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: [NEED HELP] How to create a texture and material file for my model?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:02 PM »
Hello i don't know much about modeling but maybe you badly save your dds file ? it has to be DTX1 with mip maps. You should ask there: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,20178.36810.html

Offline Efarys

• Tester
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
I saved the file correctly. I even tried every option that there is while saving the file in .dds format. I already made a post on Taleworld's forum. Maybe I'll find some help there :> If not the I can only hope that some experienced model maker will somehow came across this post in the modding section :D

Offline Produno

• AWOIAF Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lord Commander
  • AWOIAF Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: The North
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:19:44 AM »
Looks like your uv map could be wrong.

Can you take a picture of the textures tab too?

Offline Efarys

• Tester
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
Not sure what you meant by the textures tab so I guess you meant this. http://imgur.com/a/dOEQh
Also I tried doing this uv map thousand time differently and still I get the same result :/ It might be the case that I just can't uv map correctly.

Edit: I also tried doing my uv map once again. Then I added random colour just to see if it's going to work and still got the same result. http://imgur.com/a/7kaC8
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:51:43 PM by Efarys »

Offline Efarys

• Tester
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
Okay I guess I fixed it. The problem was shitty uv map. Thank you everyone for help though

Offline Ettenrocal

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
Happy you resolve your problem, tenacity is a huge quality and you have it.