If you don't receive an activation email after registration, then please post in the help and support section with your screen name

This mod will NOT work with a pirated copy of Mount and Blade Warband!

Check out the updated WIKI and register your interest in HELPING

Author Topic: My opinion on the game  (Read 430 times)

Offline block

• Recruit
    • View Profile
My opinion on the game
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
My favorite thing has always been video games. Pitfall on the Atari 2600, Dungon Master on the Atari ST, Zelda 1 on Nintendo, Resident Evil on the Playstation, now it's Skyrim and such.  My whole life seems to have been dedicated to playing video games. I have played a lot of video games and I remember the times when many video games were so difficult that there was virtually no chance or in some games, no chance at all of winning. (Way back in the day, some games didn't have a victory condition, they simply kept getting more difficult until you inevitably died)

I think the creator(s) wanted to make something with extremely challenging gameplay.  I think they have done that.

I have always said that developers should never let a desire for realism take precedence over enjoyable gameplay.  I feel like the developers in this mod have let their desire for a challenge take precedence over enjoyable gameplay.

There are a lot of cool things going on with this mod, and I'm definitely not into a position to act like a professional video game critic about this game because I've only tasted a fraction of what this game has to offer.

In my opinion the attribute draining wounds are absolutely game breaking.  I understand that they're curable, but having to go find a maester after every battle is not fun, it's work. I've probably done that a hundred times and the most recent one, I had just suddenly had enough.  I didn't want to go find a maester. I wanted to delete the mod from my hard drive, which I will, and I will probably never take an interest in this mod again.

this mod seems to have a lot of potential, but playing it becomes too much like work. My first game, I started out with just boots and a cleaver.  Which was kinda humorous for a moment, running around naked and all, but after savescumming a couple of dozen times due to getting savagely gangraped by anyone I attempted to fight, compounded by the fact that I couldn't even recruit one lousy peasant to meatshield for me without having to bribe the elder, then trying to fight again and repeatedly getting one-shotted then getting frustrated and starting a new character. Then another new character. Closing the game and reopening it in windowed mode so I could do other things on my computer while my character ran around enlisted into Robb Stark's army. Shortly before I quit, I modified an export character file to make a perfect character with 30+ in all attributes, tons of gold and a ten in all abilities. Still too difficult for me to enjoy.  I do not want to spend years of my life becoming an expert at this mod when I could spend that same amount of time enjoying and beating several other games.

There are some hardcore constraints to what a Mount and Blade mod can offer.  The way the game is makes it very light with respect to any possible storyline and I'd assume most people playing this mod have already seen the show or read the books.  I kinda feel like I have nothing to look forward to but the same monotonous gameplay that made me eventually bored of Warband Native.

Like, I said, I think there's a lot of cool things going on in this mod, but the absurd difficulty just makes it not fun at all for me. I know a lot of work went into this and I really hope a lot of people really like it and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but it just wasn't fun for me.  Good luck guys.

Offline Produno

• AWOIAF Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lord Commander
  • AWOIAF Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: The North
Re: My opinion on the game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »
Just out of interest, did you try lowering or adjusting any of the settings in the mod options screen? The mod defaults to quite a hard setting so adjusting these will make a big difference.

For the wounds, pretty much every single town or major castle has a measter or a healer. You can even recruit two different companions that will heal your wounds for you. It is less of a realism setting in a sense that I want the game to be ultra realistic, but more along the lines I want the game to be brutal and loyal to the setting in which it is created in. The whole reason I started the mod in the first place. All I have ever known whilst watching Game of Thrones is the brutality and how even the most hardened or beloved characters can die or 'loose a hand'. This is what I want to depict within the mod and if I don't, then well, I would have failed to convey the true nature of the setting that I am trying to achieve.
I mean, if someone like Jaime Lannister can loose a hand for pretty much all of the time period depicted to the audience, why should the player get off lightly? This is the type of setting the player is been thrust into. If you want the mod to be easy or unfaithful to the lore or the setting, then just use cheats, that's what they are for.

Imagine if GRRM decided for TV he would make the series a PG to appeal to a wider audience. If there were no deaths or incest, or nudity or brutal scenes of either fleshy gore or moral ambiguity then it would be like every other mainstream politically correct medium out there and I wouldn't have even taken a second look at it. That is not the route I want to take with the mod and if I loose fans because of it, then so be it.

Though I have added quite a few toggles for most of the options due to popular demand, some I will not be adding. That goes for the wounds.

Sigifrith

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
I was frustrated too. I hadn't played M&B WB in a long time, and had lost all of my memory (muscle or otherwise) in how to fight or lead troops. When I looked at the settings and saw that they were set pretty hard, I turned em back down to easy mode to get used to the game mechanics. As it gets easier I've slowly ramped up the challenge again. I've really enjoyed this mod so far.

Offline block

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »
yes, I did. this game is like falling in love with a beautiful woman, and then realizing she has a penis. I did some research. everyone hates this shit, but you refuse to modify it. I think we've located the genetic trait that causes people to join scientology.

Dude, you got some rockstar shit going on here, but nobody is gonna care about the mona lisa if you proceed to take a shit on it.  but you're not just shitting on yourself, youre shitting on everyone that has contributed to your mod.

ahseph

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »
Yo @block,

I picked up this game about the time you decided to stop playing. IMHO the game is definitely more punishing than most mods out there. But since I came from PoP, the difficulty curve isn't that great. I like most of the optional settings and like to share them below.

The wounds system, however, I would need to defend Produno on this. Playing along with his vision of this mod, I find myself less inclined to take the fields, choosing a fast horse and avoiding the head on clash. As a result I don't seem to get wounds that often and have no constant need of a maester, realism seems to set in. Save scumming before a fight also became more frequent and I have to take the consequences of any wins (including wounds, hell no way am I gona save scum due to a wound). So the question is, does realism equate to more save scumming? Or the enjoyable gameplay you seek is more like video game style? One I can think of is Shadow of Mordor or Batman Arkham City, I bought em, played em, 10-20mins later put it down and never touch it again. I should just put it across as "gameplay doesn't suit my style, too bad" but many people seemed to enjoy that game a whole lot. We just move on to those we enjoy I supposed.

Good luck in getting a new game to play @block. Chill bro, you know you will be back for more M&B (or rather BANNERFKINGLORD)  ;D

My usual procedure, TURN OFF:

Scenic (stupid unnecessary lag)
Stamina (your enemies don't have this)
Bloodloss (certain death when you are hurt)
Stumble (your enemies don't have this)
Shieldbash ( a "what-just-happen?" kind of death when used by enemies)
Charge order animation (seriously? in the midst of combat?)

My own preference, optional for you of course:
Enemies always attack TURN ON (waste of time - if you leave this on, even normal bandits/looters will wait (forever) for you at hilltop)
Complex formation TURN OFF (waste of time - this is not Total Wars, the usual formations are good enough bro! just fight and trash it out on the fields!)
Morale when resting (enemies don't have this, well you can leave it on for immersion's sake)

Offline keyshan

• Recruit
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
ahh....uhm... eh....

i Play on Hardcore/full realism cause it is fun. ist boring to Play the easy shit. and to say this: the Mod will take advance.

After all.. i Play warband only with this Mod. @Produno your Mod is good. of Course there is work to do, but it be done.

as example: ACOK was the first mod i tried and stucked there, until i found AWOIAF . it is more challenging, it has more Option, better tropp trees, more balancing. AWOIAF must be prefered.

Offline King J

• Tester
  • Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
Same here, started with ACOK but since version 0.8 or sth I prefer AWOIAF. One advantage for ACOK though. You can exchange fiefs with other vassals.

@block "a perfect character with 30+ in all attributes, tons of gold and a ten in all abilities. Still too difficult for me to enjoy." This should be by far easier than native, unless you're still running around naked without any armour ;)